Minggu, 20 Oktober 2013

Leaving Social Media

So, several days ago, I've just deactivate my Facebook account. Followed by another social media like path and Twitter. It means, my only social media account that still active is only Quora. It was a quite challenging decision because I need to fight my ego and my thirst of information. Now, I cannot stalk anyone. I cannot saw their post and photo. 

Recently, I realized that social media like Facebook or Twitter is not very beneficial for me. Even though I lived in the academic and professional social circle, there are still a lot of people that post unimportant message or post. It is like they need some kind of attention or something. And then, a lot of people boast a lot on Facebook. Their achievement, acceptance at some university, or many more. It is not that I'm not happy for their win, but for me, it is best to not share things like that. Every time I open my Facebook, the news feed are filled with food photos, melancholic status updates, or something that leads to hatred. For me, the type of post that can be really shared is only funny, informative, and argumentative. Sadly, this kind of post is very rare is those social media. Let's take a look into Quora. This Social Media is designed to shared something funny or argumentativeand they really do great about that. A lot of poeple shared their thought and we can learn together from it. Every time I opened Quora, I learn about new things. Not specifically about my job, but I learn law, nuclear technology, and many more. You should try it sometimes.

Second, Facebook takes a lot of my time. Facebook makes me want to update a lot of things about my surroundings. Their newest photo or maybe stories. It's like, I have known about my friends situation without asking them. It makes me thirsty for more information and more. Every time I get new updates, I could stick into Facebook for a long time waiting for a new update. While I'm trying to satisfy my thirst of information, I realized that I need to care about my friends. Facebook give me updates about my friends, but not making me closer to them. I want to communicate well with my friends. I want to discuss a lot of thing with my friends. I want to hear their stories instead of looking at their picture. While Facebook, let my ego of attention grows, my friends are abandoned. 

So, I've made a huge decision this week. I would allocate my time on Facebook into somethings tha really matter to my surroundings. I really hope that this time, I could use my time more wisely for my friends and family. There are still a lot of people need care and love. I want to help them. Pray for me. :D

2 komentar:

  1. Well, I agree. Especially the first point. Sometimes, I want to do it also. But, it's very hard since people contact me by Facebook message or Facebook group because I don't have local phone number.

    Moreover, I start to only share about informative and funny things in Facebook since a while ago... But, the lontong thing is, I couldn't hold myself to like or comment to the other posts.

    And wordpress is my main way to share about my story. It's really great if I read it a few months or years later.

    BalasHapus
  2. True, indeed. It is very hard to leave the Facebook Messenger as it was one the most easiest media to contact people, but I think it is worth it. :D.

    That's nice to hear that you share the right things on Facebook. Keep up the good work. :D. Blog is a mush have indeed. XD.

    BalasHapus